Tuesday 10 December 2013

Salt Dough Decorations

A recent post by another blogger got me thinking about being more crafty this year. For those who don't know a lot about me I love art hence why I love all my cake decorating but I barely get the chance to do or make anything these days, but what I better excuse do I have than having a son. Although he is a little at the moment I know over the years to come I shall enjoy making things with him.

So this year I decided to make some salt dough decorations for 3 very special twitter ladies and with the extra I had left over I made some decorations for our tree.

You will need:
Mixing bowl
Wooden spoon
Cookie cutters
rolling pin
Lined baking tray
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of flour
Food colouring of your choice
How to make the salt dough
Mix the salt and flour  in a bowl and stir in the water a little at a time, you want the dough to be dry – if it gets sticky add more flour. Knead the dough, you can now add any colouring you want to the dough, add a little of the colour at the time and knead well and then roll out and use the cookie cutters to make the shapes you want. If you are making hanging decorations don't forget to make a hole, the easiest thing I found to do this was a straw.
You can either dry the salt dough in the oven at 100c for about 3 hours, or leave on the side for about 2 days. I dried mine in the oven then left them out overnight on the side
You can paint salt dough with pretty much any paint, from acrylics to metallic sprays. Finish by coating with a clear varnish if you'd like to use the decorations next year.
These are ones I made


No comments:

Post a Comment