Thursday 7 November 2013

Today J is 21 weeks old part 2

So if J is 21 weeks old can only mean one thing it's exactly 21 weeks until I return to work. That's both a scary and strangely exciting thought. 

Please don't get me wrong I love my son with everything but I'm not the kind of woman who could stay at home full time looking after him, so for me I will be glad to go back to work. Please don't judge me on that comment and I do reserve the right to change my mind about saying that! 

With me going back to work means that I will have to sort out childcare for my son. This in it's self is a complete mind field.

So what are the different types of childcare I here you ask?

Well you have:

Childmindersprovides care for unto six children under the age of eight of whom no more than three can be aged under five. They normally provide the care in their own home.  

Day nurseries - Offers education and care from birth up until school age.  Nurseries usually open Monday to Friday throughout the year from 8am to 6pm, sometimes longer, to fit in with a normal working day. 

Pre-schools - offers part-time education and care to 3 & 4 yrs olds and sometimes younger. They normally open for morning or afternoon sessions and are closed during the school holidays. 

Nursery School - Offers educations to 3 & 4 yr olds, normally it is only part time again closed during school holidays

Nursery Classes - offers education to 3 & 4 yr olds with a primary school. As before closed during school holidays. Also take not you are not guaranteed a place at the school

And of course if your lucky you may have family near by who could help. 

You should be able to get a list of your nearest childcare provider from the Early Years Team at your local Authority or they will be able to point you to where you can obtain that information. Most local Authority's have websites so it's worth checking that. Once you have your list and you've decided which one might suit you due to location, it's then worth looking up their ofted registration  I suggest you visit your preferred options this will give u a sense of if they are right or not.

There is a good document called Choosing a Day Nursery that can help when visiting the setting.

Please do be aware that it is advisable to look at childcare providers sooner rather than later as outstanding providers can have waiting lists. Fees can also vary quiet a bit hence why some people prefer childminders as they tend to be the cheaper option.

For me J will be going to the Day Nursery at work 3 days a week, then will go to my mums 1 day. I'm lucky enough to have had approved reduced hours at work which means I will be off 1 day a week to look after J myself. 

Have you thought about your childcare options?

No comments:

Post a Comment