Friday 22 November 2013

Coral Reef

As you may know from reading my blog I've been taking J swimming for about 3 months now and he loves it as much as I do.

After a conversation with the NCT girls we decided that on one of our weekly Wednesday we'd go swimming. After a bit of a chat we decided that Coral Reef was probably our best bet, although we all live in Reading and it is in Bracknell which is about 30 minutes in the car from Reading.

You have to pay £3 for car parking but this is deducted off your swimming. We went off peak, so swimming for me and J only cost £4.70 this included the parking which I think is great value. Unlike other swimming pools I've been too they have 1 changing area with various sections in it including huge family changing rooms which was perfect for us. This also means when you go as a family you can all stick together. The 7 of us split ourselves over 2 of the large family changing rooms. 

The only small annoying thing is the lockers are slightly small so you may need more than 1 if you have lots of stuff. They do tell you at the till when you pay but the locker costs £1. I have one of those "£1" locker coins that I keep attached to my bag I take swimming so I never had to go searching for that £1.

After changing we were ready for swimming. As J is still so little and our changing room was far away from the pool side I took a towel for J and just left it by the poolside, this was a bonus at the end as the showers are right by the poolside. There is a very small group of rock where you can leave things. I had told the girls not to bring in prams or car seats, Coral Reef do allow them in but you have to leave them by the poolside because there is no we're to leave them in the changing room, this would potently mean they would get wet!

The pool it's self is quite big and split up into various areas, oh and not forgetting there is a huge pirate ship! What I love about it is that you can take your children there even if your not a great swimming yourself because the pool isn't too deep that you can't touch the floor. The toddler pool starts very shallow and there are various water bits to keep them and you entertained. For toddlers upwards there are various slides for them to enjoy, some need an adult to go on with them. You can check out Coral Reefs website for more information. http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/coralreef

After swimming I always shower J. Coral Reef have shower gel dispensers on the wall by the showers so you don't need to take any shower gel. Though you will need shampoo and conditioner if you wish to wash your hair. Of course there are hair dryers to dry your hair with after.

After showering we were back to the changing room. I wisely had taken the little swimmers hygiene mat which was perfect for putting J on the floor on in the changing room. One thing I hadn't said was how impressed I was by the changing rooms they were very clean and tidy. 

Once everyone was dressed we then went to the Coconut Grove and Beech cafe for a spot of lunch. The choice was somewhat small but ok I had a ham sandwich and a yogurt of course there are chips available. 

Overall I was very impressed by coral Reef and would definitely go back and recommend to others.

The other thing have is an on site photographer, they are there snapping pictures that can be brought on the day. They also do every so often take underwater photos, unlike most baby swimming classes they don't charge a booking fee or horrendous amounts for the photos. Their next underwater session is running mon 2nd until Friday 6th Dec 2013 between 10-12.

What you need for swimming.


  • Wet nappy - you can buy these in packs of 12 for under £8
  • Happy nappy or swimsuit - Coral Reef say you just needed the wet nappy but I always think you need to have something over it.
  • Towel for drying little one
  • Something's for the floor like the little swimmers hygiene mat or an extra towel
  • Your swim suit - I always wear mine going and remember to pack my bra and knickers for after
  • Towel for you


No comments:

Post a Comment