Sunday 6 October 2013

J's 1st Holibobs

We have just returned from J's 1st family holibobs in North Devon.

Hubby and I had spoken ages ago about taking J away somewhere in September, we had hoped it might have been to the villa in Spain but this was not to happen so the next best place was Devon as Hubby and I love it so much. After conversations with my folks it was decided that we'd all go together and hire a cottage.

After a long search my dad finally found Old Maids Cottage in a little village called Lee just about 3 miles outside of Ilfracombe (unless on aTuesday afternoon you get lost then it feels like 10 miles). 


Old Maids Cottage dates back to 1765 and was renovated in 2012 with the addition of a long galley Kitchen and a master bedroom with patio. It's gorgeous and looks like it had just come off a chocolate box.  The cottage was a good size and slept 6 people with 3 double bedrooms all with their own bathrooms though there was only one proper shower.  It was well equiped and had everything we needed for a weeks holiday including providing us with a travel cot for J. There was a lovely welcome basket on our arrive which contained some milk, local eggs, cereal and a jar of blackcurrant Jam.  


One of my favourite things we did while away was took the coastal walk from Lee to Ilfracombe which was about 3 miles away. Due to the path we decided that we wouldn't take the buggy, instead we used a Baby Bjorn that we had borrowed off a friend. It took us about 1.5hrs to complete the walk to Ilfracombe. We stopped for a nice pub lunch before starting the walk back. Though the walk back was my least favourite part of the holiday due to getting lost and ending up cutting through a random farm, thankfully we got recused on the road back to Lee by the parents. Have to say that night we stayed in as we were a bit tired! 


Another lovely day was the day we went to Woolacombe and took J on the beech for the 1st time. Though I did get a bit wet when I took J to the sea to have look and maybe dip his feet. I have learnt never turn your back on the sea and the waves! The other thing I learnt was buggies and the sand don't mix!

 

On our last day we went to my favourite village in North Devon - Lynmouth, though the weather wasn't great we still had a nice morning there.


In the afternoon we returned to Illfracombe for a lovely cream tea in the Great British Tea Shop. 


Overall we had a lovely time. I packed and eat far too much, but thats a holiday for you. 

Must do's:

  • Diner at Combe Cottage Ilfracombe
  • Eat at At One in Braugton
  • Walk alone Woolacombe Beech
  • Visit Lynmouth 

I think we took everything but the kitchen sink! I would recommend the cottage and the area to any family.

No comments:

Post a Comment