Saturday 20 July 2013

Those items I wished I'd brought or not brought

Recently I did an update blog of the baby products I brought but after a few conversations on twitter I thought I'd write an update of products I wish I'd brought or not brought. Though honestly I actually think u should buy the bare min and then see how you get on before you go and buy lots. Also you will probably get lots of presents too.

Nursery: The lastest guidelines say that your little one should be in your room until at least 6 months so  though at some point you will need to have the nursery set up, at the beginning you won't need it set up bUT I would highly recommend you have it done think more for piece of mind also i think most people do the same.

In our nursery we have a cot bed, we  brought this as it will last J until he's about 5 as the cot sides come off and there is 3 different heights for the base. Attached to the cot bed I have a mobile which honestly I have only used a couple of times. We were lent this otherwise I possibly wouldn't have brought it straight away




We then have a wardrobe and a chest of draws I can't express enough that it's good to have lots of draws and storage. Our wardrobe has a self unit inside it otherwise I would have brought a self unit to store all J's books & toys.  Inside the wardrobe I have a big box which contains spare things like spare nappies, nappy bags etc. 




On top of our chest of draws we have the changing mat, some people buy the changing unit that goes above the cot but i preferred just having it ontop of the chest of draws. I didn't have enough spare draws to store in the chest of draws to keep what I'd call changing bits so I have a white unit on wheels. on the top I keep my cheeky wipes a few nappies and nappy bags for those night changes we find it easier having it all out rather than having to have to route though a draws. the white unit has 3 draws, draw 1 contains the open packet of nappies, antibacterial wipes and a spare packet of baby wipes, Draw 2 has toiletries things like the bowl for washing j in the morning, cotton wool, moisturiser, suncream, hair brush, nail clippers etc Draw 3 contains towels for when I bath him and also his swimming bits Draw 4 contains spare travel changing mats and the nappy bags



I'm differently the kind of person who has to have everything in certain places and therefore you may notice things under J's cot these are the bits I'm going to sell like clothes that no longer fit J, my pregnancy pillow I brought at varest expense that I never got on with and my maternity clothes that don't fit anymore.

I also have a chair in the nursery for those night time feeds if I'm honest I would suggest buying one with arms make it easier to support your arm during the night feeds at the moment we've decided to replace it.

Clothes: I would highly suggest only buying a few bits in newborn size maybe 5 bodysuits, 5 sleep suits and a few rompers then depending on the weather and size of baby you can then buy more if needed. As for tiny baby clothes well unless you know your having a tiny baby I'm not sure I'd bother. My mum brought me a pack of tiny baby sleep suits which actually turned out to be great as J was only 6lb 5oz and then I sent hubby out to get a few extra bits so we ended up with 5 body suits and 5 sleep suits, j was only in them for about 2 weeks before going up to the next size and I just washed them every other day. Also as adult clothing stores baby shops are the same sizes varies in different shops. Again you will be given things. One great piece of advice I was given was if you don't like something and it still has the label on your can return it without a receipt.

I would suggest also on stocking up on muslins, in the beginning I thought 10 was enough but I have them in the crib and Moses basket tuck in so if he's sick or dribbles I only have to change that & not the fitted sheets therefore I think plan white ones are much better. On that I have 4 fitted sheets for the cot & crib.

Growbags: hubby always took the mickey out of me for buying so many! I have three 2.5 tog one of which is a travel one, one 1.5 tog and one 1 tog all 0-6 months. At the moment as he still quiet little I'm still just using a blanket over him when needed. I did try the 1 tog on him last night and he seemed to be ok. It's hard as if we weren't going through a mini heat wave or he wasn't so tiny I would be using them so actually is 5 too many??

Bathing: we have a baby bath with a plug in the bottom which is great and then a rest that goes it that makes it much easier. I have 1 sponge and then I am using Johnson's top to toe wash BUT I would recommend trying trial sizes before stocking up on any one product as you don't know if your little one will be allergic to anything J doesn't get on with Bottom butter. We also brought munchkin bath thermometer but I would differently buy one that actually tells you the temperature.

Toys - I would recommend not buying hardly anything to begin with unless you see something you really like most chances are that people will buy you some kind of toy.

Car: We've been out in the car loads i differently suggest buying decent car sun blinds that fits your car. We had originally brought 2 cheepes from Adsa but were always have problems with the 2nd one as it often will fall off or not block enough of the sun.

We've also brought an easy view mirror from Jo Jo Maman Bebe
http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+easy-view-baby-mirror-for-rear-facing-seats-in-baby-car-travel-and-buggy-accessories+a4463
This sits in the rear facing J so we can actually see his face. I would say you can buy them slightly cheaper on somewhere like Amazon but we just brought it when we saw it.


Well ended up being a bit of a long post but hope it helps somewhat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment