Monday 24 June 2013

My labour story


So I thought I'd actually write what had happened during labour mainly for a record but also just to share what had happened to me.

It all started Friday 14th about 2pm I'd been into Reading to meet hubby for a spot of lunch and on my way home popped to Tesco's to get some wine. As usual I needed to loo where I found what looked like a pinkie stain on my knickers after a quick check with the twitter ladies I decided it was possible what is known as the show.

I went home and just got on with my afternoon but I started to have a few cramps. Friday night is always pizza night in our house & with that hubby will normally have some wine. Pizza eaten and wine started I remember standing in the kitchen having a contraction saying to hubby I thought it was best not to drink any more wine as there was a good chance baby might come. By 9.30 I was having contractions every couple of minutes and was in quiet a bit of pain enough to decide to make the trip to hospital. I had already phones ahead so they knew to expect us. On arrival at the Royal Berkshire we went straight up to the Rushy Ward, the midwife lead unit where I was examined. I was told I was 1cm and I had the choice of going home or staying & using the waiting lounge. Hubby & I decided to go home.

On arrival on the drive at home I felt like I'd wet my self, I went upstairs and got changed & went to the loo, with that I lost my mucus plug have to say mine was quiet a big plug. Then the contractions started to get more intense and still only 2-3 minutes apart. I lasted about an hour at home before around 11.30pm I got hubby to take me back to hospital, this had to be the longest car journey ever, again we went to the Rushy ward. This time I was told I was 2 cm and had the choice of going home or the waiting lounge this time I knew there was no way I could make it home so we stayed. We were lucky enough to be given a side room The Winter room but I think it was actually one of the birth rooms now after talking to a few people. It contained a fold down bed, a birthing ball, a bean bag & matted area, free TV and it's own loo. I was still having contractions on & off every 3 or so minutes and by this time I was in too much pain that I asked for pain relief I was given diamophine by injection in my leg. This took most of the edge of the pain but I still felt the contractions.

By 4.30 am on the Saturday the pain was getting unbearable again. In a down moment I said to Chris just do what ever you feel right, I knew at this stage I wasn't going to make any decisions as i just wanted the pain to stop. My birth plan was very simple - do what need to be done and only tell me what you have to. On examination at 5.30 I was told I was now 3cm, as I was in so much pain did I was offered an epidural. Chris told them to make the call and on that I was transferred down to the delivery ward.

On arrival there I was hooked up to a machine to monitor my contractions & baby's heart beat. This had to be monitored for about 30 mins before I could have the epidural. As the pain started to increase I was offered gas & air. I have to say it's very strange stuff almost takes you out of your self it also made me lie down as I couldn't physically stand up. At about 6.30 I was finally given the epidural it took a while to get in due to the contractions being a couple of minutes apart but god once it was in it was lovely took the pain almost completely away.

At about 9am we were asked if we minded if a work experience girl came and sat though my labour to which we agreed. It was nice to have someone to chat to along with the midwife. Pretty much when you arrive on the delivery suite you have a midwife with you 24/7. About 10am I was examined and told I was now 5 cm at this point we decided it was a good opportunity for Chris to pop home and freshen up etc. I remember in some time between 10-12 that baby's heart beat started to dip, I'd already had a clip put on his head as they were struggling to monitor his heart beat on the normal monitor. At one point the heart beat stayed low that they called the doctor in to check at this point I had my 1st melt down as it was quite scary & Chris was not by my side. In the end they called Chris back in. Between that call & him arriving I remember saying to Julia the midwife I felt immense pressure in my bum, then I smelt it, though they never actually said it I knew I'd pooed myself.

I was cleaned up just before hubby arrived back. Baby's heart beat was still dropping on & off so at about 2 the doctor came back and decided to try and take a blood sample from babies head. In doing this they discovered that I was still only 5cm but more importantly my cervix had started to swell & close back over. There was no other option emergency c section was the only was this baby was coming out.

Melt down 2 - once those words had been said that was it action stations & loads of people started coming in & out. Hubby was told to change into scrubs. During all the time I was in a state and crying I can't tell you why. I can't tell you much about the journey to theatre or theatre as I had my eyes closed most of the way. I remember one person saying to me that if there are complications they might have to preform an histromaticy my response was I didn't care do what's needed. I also remember this women saying to me she needed to explain the c section & the risks I remember my reply was I didn't want to know do what you have to and with that I signed the consent form.

I remember i wanted hubby to talk to me but he was so over whelmed too that he couldn't get any words out. Within what felt like a matter of minutes I heard little one cry for the 1st time. The next 20 minutes was a bler really I remember asking hubby if baby looked like a James (we'd already picked our name out) hubby said yes then I remember them bringing James over to me but I was shaking so much I didn't want to hold him. As time went on my shaking got worse and I started to begin to feel really worried and went into panic mode. In the end I was fine as I've since found out from others this is a perfectly natural way to feel.

So there it is how little James Peter was born on Saturday 15th June at 2:19pm weighting 6 lbs 5 oz




No comments:

Post a Comment